Senior Legal Counsel - Banking
Are you an internationally minded legal professional? Do you have a can-do mentality, can you push yourself and others forward and are you eager to contribute to The Student Hotel’s ambitious growth plans?
Your mission, should you choose to accept it
The rapid Europe wide expansion of the company leads to continuous funding needs (acquisition-, development- and investment financing). We currently have nine (and counting) facility agreements in place. As Senior Legal Counsel Banking & Finance you will work closely together with our real estate-, treasury-, banking- and finance department to obtain financing for new and existing projects.
While your main focus will we working on these financing transactions, you will also provide our finance team with legal support on their day-to-day matters, such as intercompany treasury transactions and the adoption of annual accounts as well as assisting our general counsel with any corporate law matters that come up in relation to our entities.
You won’t be working at an ordinary legal department. Because of our rapid international expansion and ambitious growth plans, we’ve got more going on than just the day-to-day legal business you would expect at a real estate development and hotel operating company. The legal department is not only responsible for all legal affairs, but also takes care of legal matters related to acquisition and development of our new locations, obtaining and maintaining their financing as well as facilitating the operational and commercial success of our hotels. That’s the part where you come in!
In case you don’t know who we are (ahem)…
Our unique model offers long stay (student and co-living) and short stay (hotel) options for our guests, together with market leading co-working spaces and epic facilities. We believe in creating a fun, creative and inspiring environment where everyone can live, work, play and grow. We activate this community to encourage connections and help each other grow. We achieve this by offering award winning communal spaces with a wow-factor combined with our exceptional international team of lively, smart and motivated people that embrace the student spirit and bring it to life every day.
What You’ll Do
- Review and negotiate real estate finance (REF) facility agreements and other loan documentation, hedging documentation, security documents and corporate approvals.
- Coordinate and manage (international) law firms and debt advisory firms.
- Review and provide all information and documentation required by the banks in order to fulfil all obligations under the facility agreements.
- Manage all intercompany (treasury) transactions and corporate housekeeping matters.
- Engage, coordinate and manage (international) law firms and debt advisory firms.
- Provide legal support to the finance & treasury teams on day to day legal matters and ad-hoc questions.
- Report directly to the General Counsel and Head of Banking and work closely with all other teams within TSH.
Who You Are
- Master's law degree.
- Minimum of 6 years relevant finance/banking transactions legal experience, either as lawyer or as in-house counsel in an international setting.
- Relevant experience with LMA recommended forms for REF finance documents is a plus.
- Experience with corporate law matters such as adoption of annual accounts, appointment of directors and the granting of powers of attorney
- Proficient understanding of corporate numbers (P&L, balance sheet and cash flow).
- Strong skills in drafting and reviewing contracts.
- Stress resistant; maintains control and overview of complex projects within tight deadlines.
- You are proactive and have a hands-on and a problem-solving attitude.
- You enjoy being the sparring partner of the real estate, finance & treasury teams, having a seat at the table by making sure to have a good understanding risks (legally but also commercially) and finding ways to mitigate them.
- You like to forge a well-grounded opinion and not afraid to challenge and to be challenged.
- You are capable to adapt to a fast-paced environment and enjoy negotiations
- You enjoy getting the best of our legal advisors while sticking to tight and realistic budgets.
- Excellent spoken and written (business) English skills. Dutch, German, Spanish, French or Italian language skills are a nice extra.
- You're eligible to work in The Netherlands.
- Willingness to travel and work flexible hours.
What We Offer
- A pan-European exposure, working with the best in-class law firms.
- The benefit of a challenging transaction practice common to that of law firms with dedicated finance/banking practice groups but without the degree of unpredictability typical to that practice at law firms.
- The opportunity to work at a dynamic, multi-national company. Not just another hotel, we’re a game changing innovator, challenging every convention and defining the future.
- A flexible work environment with the capacity to work from any of our locations.
- Access to the amazing TSH facilities, including our awesome staff experiences, canteen and gym (Covid permitting)
- Staff rate hotel stays across 16 exciting European locations
- A wonderful workplace to call home, events, fun colleagues, and all other regular salary/benefits stuff
We’re curious, conscious, and we celebrate all. We bring people together and are committed to providing the best space, experience and workplace for our entire connected community - no matter what age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique.